Welcome! I've set up this blog to show the process of creating 12 custom 5-piece place settings out of stoneware clay. I will do my best to stay fairly current with what is happening in my studio. Please stop by often to see the progress!



Thursday, May 20, 2010

Time to begin shipping!!

Yippee! It's time to start packing and shipping the first installment of finished pieces! These pictures show 6 tan mugs, 6 tan bowls and 7 tan dinner plates (an extra for my buyer.) This weekend I'll start packing them up, very carefully, to send on to their new home. Hopefully they will be well received.

A very important part of this entire process, and one you probably would not consider, is securing good packing materials. I have never bought bubblewrap to ship anything which means I scamper all about my little town collecting from businesses. This isn't merely because I am frugal-- which certainly is a huge consideration when you have a small business like mine-- but also because I am THE GREEN THROWER! Remember?! I try my darndest to keep bubblewrap, packing peanuts and boxes out of the landfill. So that means I have quite a nice working relationship with area businesses and my friendly UPS driver, who is always on the lookout for good "stuff." Yesterday I was elated to receive a call from a gift shop that had good materials and boy, did I make a superior haul. The only problem is that my basement makes me look like a hoarder...

So while I am very excited about this part of the project being completed, I continue to wait for my other glaze which is coming from California and here I am in NY state. When that finally arrives, I'll be able to crank out the other half of what you see here. Moving forward next week, I will begin to throw all of the 24 smaller plates. My studio space is a bit limited (though not because of my packing materials) so I did not want to get started on these plates 'til I had moved inventory out. The count is now 18 done, 42 more to go... off to the studio I march to adjust my kiln which has a load bisquing and then I will plunk down on the old tractor seat to contemplate my good fortune to be a potter.

Thanks for continuing to read my blog!

2 comments:

  1. Where do you get all of your packing supplies? It must take a car-load to ship this collection!

    ReplyDelete