Welcome! I've set up this blog to show the process of creating 12 custom 5-piece place settings out of stoneware clay. I will do my best to stay fairly current with what is happening in my studio. Please stop by often to see the progress!



Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I'm on the prowl...

Business has been good. I'm very low on good packing materials. I've got my eyes and ears open for anyone in my vicinity throwing clean bubblewrap and peanuts into the landfill...

I have a feeling some comments are forthcoming from my customer, as I suggested in my last post. "C" tells me she doesn't find it intuitive so she hasn't been able to get it done. I have confidence in her though, don't you?

On the pottery front, lots of throwing, trimming, bisquing, glazing going on here. I've had lots of custom orders to manage. All I have left in this primo order is to glaze two more salad plates and then 48 pieces will be done. My fine, smart customer and I discussed getting the first 48 done and when I have time later this month after a big show in Rochester, I'll get started on the 12 bread and butters plates.

All for now. I'm glazing, loading and then setting off on the lookout for you-know-what. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm Jan's customer and proud owner of a 60 piece dinner ware set! I want to share my Top Ten Reasons to Love "Jan-Ware" List with her blog followers:

    1. Our place settings are very versatile. They are perfect for everyday use, they look lovely in formal settings and they make beautiful serving pieces as well. (When the bowls are used for serving dips, they look like dip bowls...not like dip served in your morning cereal bowls!)

    2. Each piece is an individual work of art, and I love usable art!

    3. Jan made me 6 natural/brown settings and 6 green/brown speckled settings. My custom colors match my taste room decors, I can vary (mix and match) settings at a table or pieces within each setting, and Kevin and I can identify our coffee mugs...Kevin gets the green and I get the brown.


    4. The shapes of all the pieces are perfect! They fit perfectly in the dishwasher (no wasted spaces.) We both really love the shape of the mugs. They are ergonomically comfortable and they keep hot beverages hotter longer.

    5. "Jan-Ware" is much lighter and thinner (therefore dressier,)and less expensive than readily available commercial kitchen pottery.

    6. Because the pieces are porous and the bottoms are flat, they are completely dry when the dishwasher cycle is complete. No puddles to mop up on the bottom of the mugs!

    7. "Jan-Ware" doesn't get too hot to handle in the microwave!!! (I love that feature)

    8. I own everyday reminders of how talented Jan is and the fun we had in college. There's even more sentimental value thanks to Jan's customized signature.

    9. I get compliments from guests!

    10. I've gotten lots of boxes and bubble wrap to reuse in sending care packages to my son who is now in college forming his own life long and talented friends!!

    This is one of those rare purchase instances where the more you use it the more you like it! I'd do it all over again...which reminds me. I'm going to ask Jan to make me some serving pieces to match in the future!

    ReplyDelete