Welcome! I've set up this blog to show the process of creating 12 custom 5-piece place settings out of stoneware clay. I will do my best to stay fairly current with what is happening in my studio. Please stop by often to see the progress!



Monday, April 5, 2010

Back to the studio...


Today I was able to get a few plates off the bat, so I trimmed them, which means taking off extra clay and finishing them with a "foot" on the bottom of the piece. They are currently drying on a worktable. While the rest are still in the drying room, I decided the thing to do was to get going on the mugs. So I weighed and wedged a bunch of clay and sat down to throw. Size is determined by liquid capacity and I decided that for a nice placesetting the mugs shouldn't be too big and clunky. Hopefully when these are all done they will hold about 1 1/2+ cups of one's favorite beverage. The handles are "pulled" and applied when the mug is leather hard so that will happen in a day or two. The mugs sans handles are in the drying room right now. Tomorrow I expect to be able to trim the other plates and throw more if need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment