Welcome! I've set up this blog to show the process of creating 12 custom 5-piece place settings out of stoneware clay. I will do my best to stay fairly current with what is happening in my studio. Please stop by often to see the progress!



Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Behind the blog scenes...

While you haven't seen a lot of progress, things are happening behind the scenes, slowly. I have been waxing all the mugs as well as some plates and lots of other pieces that I have to fire. And so, the slow process of glazing has begun, with interference from my other jobs. I am hoping that the kiln will be loaded to the gills by this weekend so that I can start a glaze fire on Sunday.

Now I don't want my customer to get too excited that she is going to see all the mugs and plates finished by next week-- oh no. I fire cautiously. Nothing makes me more nervous than customer orders and if I put everything in one firing and something went wrong, I'd lose it all; so I am cautious. I have plenty of other stuff that also needs to be finished so I will be putting part of the order in the kiln this weekend. When all goes well (thinking positively), I'll load up for another firing, and on it goes til this project is complete. I believe the trick will be to have pieces in every stage of the process, so next week I will be starting on the bowls, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment