Welcome! I've set up this blog to show the process of creating 12 custom 5-piece place settings out of stoneware clay. I will do my best to stay fairly current with what is happening in my studio. Please stop by often to see the progress!



Sunday, April 18, 2010

Getting ready to glaze...

Everything came out of the bisque fire beautifully-- each piece a smidge smaller than when they went in. The next step is to wax the bottoms of all the pieces I want to glaze. I use a brush to "paint" the wax on. This is done so that I can put the pieces directly on the kiln shelves, as wherever the wax is applied, glaze will not stick. If I omitted this step, nothing would come off the shelves! Now you may wonder why you have seen glaze on the bottom of some things before: well, that can be done with "stilting," whereby you use a three-pronged pointy stilt to set the piece on. It's usually done for other things...

Too me, glazing is the most tedious part of the process and takes the longest. Everybody gets their kicks different ways, this isn't mine. However, one of my favorite parts is lowering the lid of the kiln on a fully loaded glaze fire, turning it on and waiting for the results. But I'm definitely getting ahead of myself... I've got lots of glazing to do before I can think about that and unfortunately, time I need to spend on other jobs this week. So please be patient!

PS I know I promised a picture on "pulling handles." I've got to remember to ask my CH ( you know, "Cheerful Helper") to take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment