Welcome! I've set up this blog to show the process of creating 12 custom 5-piece place settings out of stoneware clay. I will do my best to stay fairly current with what is happening in my studio. Please stop by often to see the progress!



Sunday, April 25, 2010

Glaze fire starts tomorrow!

Sorry, I was a little off on my glazing schedule... but my kiln is "loaded to the gills" now. (I'm thinking this is probably not the proper usage of that phrase.) The kiln, pronounced both "kil-nnn" and "kil," will be started early in the morning. It will fire for about 14 hours to reach cone 5 temperature, which is almost 2200 degrees. When I load the pieces, I have to be sure that they are not touching each other, or disaster will strike. Therefore a glaze firing typically does not have nearly as many pieces in it.

Most of the pieces that will be a-cookin' tomorrow are not from this order. That's because, as I mentioned in the last post, I am cautious and today I decided I needed to do some testing on one of the glazes as it is a new batch and I want to make sure it is of the right consistency, etc. before I apply it to the order. So if all goes according to plan, when I open the kiln up Wednesday morning after a day and a half of cooling, I will be able to show you a finished mug and dinner plate. Hold the right thought!

So the plan for tomorrow, while I am tending to this firing, is to trim a few extra plates, start throwing some bowls, and catch up on some other orders. Thanks for following my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment