Welcome! I've set up this blog to show the process of creating 12 custom 5-piece place settings out of stoneware clay. I will do my best to stay fairly current with what is happening in my studio. Please stop by often to see the progress!



Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Firing Away!

When I submerged into my studio this morning I found everything "dry as a bone." Just how I wanted it... so I loaded up the kiln for a bisque fire. This first fire goes to cone 08. Cones are how we potters measure the temperature in the kiln. But for useful information, cone 08 is 1733 degrees fahrenheit. When I bisque fire, pieces can be touching so as you can see, I even have a couple of plates stacked here and there. Generally, I like to have every bit of shelf covered with pots, but to tell the truth, I didn't have small enough pieces for the top shelf and my mentality to keep the project going was "just fire away!"

No comments:

Post a Comment